Forums

Forum Home > It's All About the Music > Sticky: Is this band Christian?

TvdH-NL

I had a question about the band Rwake, an American Sludge band, I've allways loved their music but never thought they where Christian, untill I had seen them on there first european tour this april and after the show they said "God bless you", and not in a sarcastic kind of way. I know they used to be called wake but had to change there name because of copyrights, but that could be a Christian band name without a doubt. I hope some of you know the awnser, because I love their music. Thank you.

I made a new topic out of this because I thought maybe other people here also have questions if a band is Christian or not.

June 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Well, I had never heard of them but I did some research.  For some reason, it is very very difficult to find their lyrics.  However, the ones I did read seemed very strange in nature.  You can find two of their lyrics here.  While they at first seem to support Christianty, and one even seems like a tale of creation, I was confused.

For example: 

"Earth two angels

Carry out war

In the name of God

Kill fight conquer

Followers of Christ assume

Eviticus exodus hexagram

Ian omps psalms

Evolve become none"

Basically it had me scratching my head. 

So my researching journey continued.  After much frustration in trying to find more lyrics, I came across an interview that you can read here.  I'm not going to post any of it because it contains offense language.  However, the singer noted something about receiving "visions," and writing the lyrics from these. 

That would have sealed it for me, but a lot of their song names had me dubious as well.  For instance, a song named "The Stoner Tree."  I couldn't find any lyrics but I did find a quote from the lyrics in a review:  "I don't give a $&#@ about Jesus Christ, I just want to get high."  Now I can't confirm those are the actual lyrics, but...the evidence is stacked against them.  I know it's not what you want to hear, but I can in no way call Rwake a Christian band.  There were many references to drugs and alcohol in stuff I was reading about them.

Part of it might be that the whole "God Bless" thing has become cliche, and a lot of people say it that aren't Christians.  Of course, if you like the music and still feel comfortable listening, go ahead!  I hope that helped you out.  If anyone else knows about this band, or has another opinion, feel free to post it.  And of course, if anyone has any questions about other bands, feel free to ask the community what they know/think/can find.

--

June 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mikey

I have a question about greek power metal band InnerWish I really like their music their first vocalist was a christian but I can't find whether or not they're a christian band. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

--

http://www.last.fm/user/MRPercival

April 9, 2012 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jason Valentine
hey whay do y'all know about the band Civil Carnage? last.fm has em listed as a christian band. I haven't looked into the lyrics yet, but on their page on metallum encyclopedia it says that they are mistaken for being a christian band, but are not. I'd assume that sums it up right there, but figured I'd ask anyway.
May 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator
I looked at the track listing for the album Abomination in the House of God. I feel comfortable telling you this is not a Christian band.
--

dratliff66 1Pet. 4:8

May 24, 2013 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jason Valentine

word.  

May 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Jason, do you use last.fm?  Here's my profile, add me as a friend if you do!  http://www.last.fm/user/mrmichel0927

--

May 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jason Valentine

i dont really know about it, just recently found it.  I'll look into it more.  

May 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jason Valentine

joined and added ya Matthew.

May 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Yay! :)

--

May 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam

Do any of you know if Miseration is Christian? I've heard that most of the band is, and the vocalist isn't, but haven't verified it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzCRRKl-PKI

June 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

I've actually gone down this road myself because someone asked me the question in the past.  The answer, sadly, is probably not.  Their first album has a lot of Christian themes, but going further on down the road the lyrics become more divergent from Christianity. 

This is one of the songs from The Mirrowing Shadow.  The only thing I can conclude is that it's supposed to be a song from the point of view of someone who is taking a drug trip.

Steps are hard to balance here

Gone far, in a maze lost.

A smell luring with wickedness

Addicting spirit and soul.

Lust of joy and disease harden,

then break my body down.

Gravity killing intellect

around a black hole.

Closer now, body aching

Mind goes blank

Slow sacrifice for those unseen.

Forbidden words spoken

in forests of concrete and steel

Magick dusted on eyes through drugs.

Invisible gateways open up the ground

Tunnels of darkness with no ends.

Creatures undefined - shapeshifting.

Worms and insects invited

to touch, to invocate, to feed me,

skin me of old scaled skin.

And I, to learn secrets of undying,

Find instruments to master life's force.

Drug myself with chemicals of youth

to go to sleep and wake unweary.

Closer now, body aching

Mind goes blank

Slow sacrifice for those unseen.

Now let's move on to their third and most recent album.  Here are the lyrics to the song Cinephes.

The land of Egypt must cry

Man and beast alike

They will all be affected

For reasons they may only guess

Sun O sun, Mighty sun

How they worshipped you

But mightier was I

And you knew me since long

You the enemy

With false pretence - Ra

Some say it was God

Who came in wrath

I say no - It was only I

Who knows none

I whispered a spell of madness

And the dust metamorphosed

Sun O sun, Mighty sun

How they worshipped you

But mightier was I

And you knew me since long

You the enemy

With false pretence - Ra

Ciniphes!

This seems to be mocking God and saying that it was not through his power that the Egyptians were afflicted.  Although the song seems to be belittling Ra as well.  I think that part of the reason that they were labelled a Christian band is that Jani Stefanovic is in the band, and he notably played with Divinefire.  Now, other than those two lyrics, there isn't all that much stuff that is bad, and there are some pro-Christian themes running throughout it.  So it's your call on whether you want to listen to them or not.  I decided not to, even though they sound pretty sweet.

Does anyone else have any information or opinions on it?

--

June 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Disillusionaire

I love Miseration and have their first two albums.  I have not picked up the most recent album yet but want to soon. They are more my style of music!

June 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKWIyQQNxjQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player have stumbled across a band called Symphonity. Their music hints at Christianity, but I've found little more to verify it. Does anyone know anything about this band?  They're a good symphonic/power metal band.

--

October 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

Redimidos. My Spanish isn't good enough to verify if they're Christian. Does anyone know? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varmXKvcoSQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--

November 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

getthepointtoday

Is "In Vain" Christian? I have heard they are, and I really like them. Thanks!

November 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam

getthepointtoday at November 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Is "In Vain" Christian? I have heard they are, and I really like them. Thanks!

They're a good band, and I've wondered this myself. I found this from an interview of the band:

Do you define yourself a Christian band? Or maybe a band of Christian people? How do you live your faith?

Andreas: No, it's not a Christian band we have two Christian members, we don'twrite Christian lyrics so we're not a Christian band, but of course me andJohnar writing all the lyrics of the songs and we are the Christians, so ofcourse there is something on the background.

Johnar: The other members are almost antireligious but we are very good friendsand we respect each others. I didn't start the band to leave a message, butit's about the music. We are only two Christian members but we don't want togive a political or religious message, in some songs we have philosophicallyrics too.

--

Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

November 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

getthepointtoday

Thanks! Well, here I thought they were Christian. Oh well. At least the lyric writers aren't against Christ lol.

November 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

I know the feeling. I thought I found a good one today until they started dropping F-bombs and flippin the bird. At that point, I don't care what they sing about.

--

November 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry

Mikey at April 9, 2012 at 4:19 AM

I have a question about greek power metal band InnerWish I really like their music their first vocalist was a christian but I can't find whether or not they're a christian band. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

They're signed with Ulterium records, the same chaps who manage Theocracy. Check it out: http://www.ulterium-records.com/artists.html

November 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.