Forums

Forum Home > It's All About the Music > Sticky: Is this band Christian?

WhiteShip

What about Atlantean Kodex?

October 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam

WhiteShip at October 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting question--I have their album and like it a good bit. I don't think they are, but I'll let you know if I learn anything more concrete.

--

Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

October 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WhiteShip

Adam at October 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM

WhiteShip at October 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting question--I have their album and like it a good bit. I don't think they are, but I'll let you know if I learn anything more concrete.

Thanks for the reply and welcome, glad to be here!

According to Metal Archieves, their lyrics deal with Christianity and also they made some statements like:

"What a lot of people tend toforget is how Christianity preserved the knowledge of theantique Roman and Greek writers and scientists duringthe dark ages and thus laid thefoundation not only for theRenaissance, but also for theAge of Enlightenment. Peopleoften seem to overlook howChristianity built both the physical, political and spiritualinfrastructure for modernEurope and how Christianscholars built up Europe anew,after the Roman civilizationwas laid to waste by theGermanic tribes. Peopleobviously fail to see howChristianity as a common faithunited the European rulersagainst the forces of Islam. If there's one thing to unite us asEuropeans it‘s Christianity, notthe superstitious rites of a bunch of seafaring farmersliving in a fjord, praying toOdin and living on a diet of fish and salted meat until theydie of an infected tooth by theage of 37. Like it or not, butyou can‘t deny Christianity'shistorical importance for our common Western civilization."

Source: https://es.scribd.com/doc/147863255/Atlantean-Kodex-interview-WAR-ON-ALL-FRONTS-fanzine

But well everything aside, besides being Christian or not, I think they have no lyrics against Christianity or anything harmful, so should be a good go, or what you think?

October 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

Welcome,  WhiteShip. I think one of the most surprising things I've learned over the last couple of years is that Christian musicians don't always play in Christian bands.  That maybe what you have here. As far as listening to them goes, you have to decide what you listen to. Personally,  I have bands I like who aren't Christian,  but their music isn't against God's principles, either. 

--

dratliff66 1Pet. 4:8

October 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WhiteShip

dratliff66 at October 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Welcome,  WhiteShip. I think one of the most surprising things I've learned over the last couple of years is that Christian musicians don't always play in Christian bands.  That maybe what you have here. As far as listening to them goes, you have to decide what you listen to. Personally,  I have bands I like who aren't Christian,  but their music isn't against God's principles, either. 

Thanks a lot for the welcome dratliff66.

Well this is something im concerned about, there are times I listen to some band and I find that they have lyrics I don't enjoy and go against what I believe so I stop listen to them thats no problem, but then I find bands that have lyrics such as fairytales, epic battles, nature themed and so on, and I always tell to myself that its ok to listen to them, but it seems im really insecure since I need a second opinion haha, thats what happened to Atlantean Kodex.

October 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

It can make it tough when it's a band you really like. I wouldn't say it's insecurity to ask for another opinion.  The Bible teaches about plurality of witnesses. The more important the decision, the more witnesses needed. I'm curious about Atlantean Kodex. I'll look into them.

Feel free to browse the forums and post away. It's how we'll get to know you.

--

October 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam

You'd like Atlantean Kodex, Darrell. I like them quite a bit; they're kind of an epic heavy metal band. As far as I can tell, WhiteShip, their lyrics aren't negative at all. I listen to them somewhat regularly, in fact.

--

Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

October 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

I checked them out. I found their lyrics confusing. Nothing bad, but there were references to Jesus' birth and something about three goddesses and fire. I got confused. 

--

October 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam

dratliff66 at October 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I checked them out. I found their lyrics confusing. Nothing bad, but there were references to Jesus' birth and something about three goddesses and fire. I got confused. 

AFAICT (which isn't based on much), they make those references in a mythological context, which is why I don't think they're Christian.

I also got the impression from an interview that their lyrics are intentionally obscure.

--

October 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lilfrier

So this thread hasn't gotten love in QUITE some time. This isn't directly about a band, but I'm curious as to thought on HM Magazine. Do folks consider it a legitiamte source of Christian music?

Wikipedia likes to claim it as having an aim at Christian audiences, but there are some bands on it that I don't know of, and some I was pretty sure aren't Christian (like A Skylit Drive). They're also got an article up about streaming a band's EP with an explicit content warning on the label (Fault Lines).

They do, though, seem to house a lot of Christian music, and like I said, seem to have history based in Christian promotion. Fallstar and Kutless are two of their most recent reviews, and Blood of the Martyrs and Darkness Divided are two of their most-recent single promotions, same for Death Therapy.

Curious as to the thoughts others have on the publication, and maybe what you guys think of some of the smaller bands they're looking to promote (many of which I've never heard of).

January 31, 2016 at 10:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Bearded Dragon

lilfrier at January 31, 2016 at 10:22 PM

So this thread hasn't gotten love in QUITE some time. This isn't directly about a band, but I'm curious as to thought on HM Magazine. Do folks consider it a legitiamte source of Christian music?

Wikipedia likes to claim it as having an aim at Christian audiences, but there are some bands on it that I don't know of, and some I was pretty sure aren't Christian (like A Skylit Drive). They're also got an article up about streaming a band's EP with an explicit content warning on the label (Fault Lines).

They do, though, seem to house a lot of Christian music, and like I said, seem to have history based in Christian promotion. Fallstar and Kutless are two of their most recent reviews, and Blood of the Martyrs and Darkness Divided are two of their most-recent single promotions, same for Death Therapy.

Curious as to the thoughts others have on the publication, and maybe what you guys think of some of the smaller bands they're looking to promote (many of which I've never heard of).

That's a good point lilfrier. I would believe that at least early on, HM (or Heaven's Metal) probably did aim for Christian audiences, but know are trying to have a little diversity.

The whole point of HM was to get to hear about new bands, big or small. They leave a lot of Secular post for magazines like Alternative Press and Revolver, but the bands might also like to have adds going out to the Christian fans, (cause almost every band has those) through HM.

When you pointed out about hearing and supporting some of the smaller bands, I wholeheartedly support What We Do In Secret and Death Requisite. Those bands have earned my respect by simply talking to them, hearing their music, and their love for Christ. I can't say I have read about many other samll bands, but one that keeps coming up is Saul of Tarsus. I'll have to look them up.

--

"The art of losing, is not hard to master." - As They Sleep

February 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Siberian

Sort of the subject but broader, does Ulterium Records only signs Christian bands? http://www.ulterium-records.com/artists.html some bands are without a shadow of the doubt are Christian, others I struggle to tell apart. 

For example Matt from Theocracy is the brain behind Project Aegis which includes people from Sunburst, Black Fate, Soulspell, Vandroya, Rob Rock and LEAH. Does that mean those bands in return are approved, I listened to Sunburst and I can't get enough of Gus Drax (he did guitar work on Project Aegis), I could put him along side the best guitar players in both secular and Christian circles. 

Another example how I heard about Narnia, is because they have been recommended by Jens Johansson from Stratovarius to my friend, he said that they opened for Stratovarius on some festival and he knows them. When it comes to metal in Europe, everyone plays with everyone and you find guest musicians from random bands playing together, I call it rabbit hole of metal-archives. I start looking at one band, click on musician and few clicks later get back to where I started.

Another great example is Mikko Härkin who played for Sonata Arctica, and then he played for Mehida, couple songs are the best, so even though you could classify him as Christian he did not always play for Christian bands.

Lastly Tommy ReinXeed, who was the brain behind ReinXeed, which was never really Christian band but he played on a lot of projects with Christian Rivel-Liljegren on Golden Resurrection and other bands. Recently he joined Sabaton, based on what I read they been inviting him for a while now.

All this leaves me confused a lot of times as I would listen to musicians and some bands they play in are for Christ and others not.

September 23, 2016 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Bearded Dragon

Siberian at September 23, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Sort of the subject but broader, does Ulterium Records only signs Christian bands? http://www.ulterium-records.com/artists.html some bands are without a shadow of the doubt are Christian, others I struggle to tell apart. 

For example Matt from Theocracy is the brain behind Project Aegis which includes people from Sunburst, Black Fate, Soulspell, Vandroya, Rob Rock and LEAH. Does that mean those bands in return are approved, I listened to Sunburst and I can't get enough of Gus Drax (he did guitar work on Project Aegis), I could put him along side the best guitar players in both secular and Christian circles. 

Another example how I heard about Narnia, is because they have been recommended by Jens Johansson from Stratovarius to my friend, he said that they opened for Stratovarius on some festival and he knows them. When it comes to metal in Europe, everyone plays with everyone and you find guest musicians from random bands playing together, I call it rabbit hole of metal-archives. I start looking at one band, click on musician and few clicks later get back to where I started.

Another great example is Mikko Härkin who played for Sonata Arctica, and then he played for Mehida, couple songs are the best, so even though you could classify him as Christian he did not always play for Christian bands.

Lastly Tommy ReinXeed, who was the brain behind ReinXeed, which was never really Christian band but he played on a lot of projects with Christian Rivel-Liljegren on Golden Resurrection and other bands. Recently he joined Sabaton, based on what I read they been inviting him for a while now.

All this leaves me confused a lot of times as I would listen to musicians and some bands they play in are for Christ and others not.

Yeah there are several labels that only sign Christian bands. For instance Rottweiler Records only signs Christian bands and Christians-in-bands. I'm not really familiar with Ulterium Records but I understand they sign mainly Power metal bands, which is not my style

--

September 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

To my knowledge, Ulterium records does not only sign Christian bands.  However, it does seem that over time more Christian bands have gravitated towards the label. 

What you point out about labelling bands is an interesting phenomenon.  Some bands with positive lyrics end up getting labelled as "Christian," while some don't.   Some of that has to do with the members involved. 

I always go by the lyrics and how the band conducts itself (lifestyle) to determine if they are Christian.

One good example of this is the band My Silent Wake.  Simply because of founder Ian Arkley's work with Seventh Angel, which was a prominent Christian thrash metal band in the '90s, the project was labelled as Christian.  With member changes and ensuing albums, Ian Arkley has made known that the band is not Christian, and most of the members are not Christian today.  If you look at the lyrics, there are some from the first few albums that can be construed as Christian, but on the whole they deal with thematic elements such as loss, depresssion, nature, love, etc.  Outside of a few philosophical leanings, there is nothing that is anti-Christian.  They are a neutral band.

Sometimes it can be a gut call on whether or not to listen to a band.

--

September 23, 2016 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dratliff66
Administrator

I agree with Matthew. I don't necessarily look for the Christian label anymore. I watch lyrical content and stay away from things that contradict the Bible's teachings.

You're also right about the European musicians. I always think of Jani Stefanovic. Whether Christian band, or not, he has seemingly played with half the bands in Europe.

--

September 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Bearded Dragon

Matthew at September 23, 2016 at 4:36 PM

To my knowledge, Ulterium records does not only sign Christian bands.  However, it does seem that over time more Christian bands have gravitated towards the label. 

What you point out about labelling bands is an interesting phenomenon.  Some bands with positive lyrics end up getting labelled as "Christian," while some don't.   Some of that has to do with the members involved. 

I always go by the lyrics and how the band conducts itself (lifestyle) to determine if they are Christian.

One good example of this is the band My Silent Wake.  Simply because of founder Ian Arkley's work with Seventh Angel, which was a prominent Christian thrash metal band in the '90s, the project was labelled as Christian.  With member changes and ensuing albums, Ian Arkley has made known that the band is not Christian, and most of the members are not Christian today.  If you look at the lyrics, there are some from the first few albums that can be construed as Christian, but on the whole they deal with thematic elements such as loss, depresssion, nature, love, etc.  Outside of a few philosophical leanings, there is nothing that is anti-Christian.  They are a neutral band.

Sometimes it can be a gut call on whether or not to listen to a band.

Wait is Ian Arkley still a Christian? I read an interview that Arkley, Simon Bibby,  and Mark Broomhead were all Christians still. (Their drummer is Buddhist)

--

September 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kerrick

That's news to me...  Where did you read that?  I'd be very curious to read that interview regardless.

--

Job 3:2

September 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

I, too, would be interested in reading that interview.  As far as I know Ian doesn't consider himself to be Christian anymore.  I could always reach out to him and ask him on Facebook, but that seems like it would be a little bit awkward.

--

September 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Bearded Dragon

I now realize this article is a couple years old but here it is: http://hmmagazine.com/blog/hm-exclusives/exclusive-interview-seventh-angel/

--

September 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Bearded Dragon

Here's a more recent one saying he's agnostic: http://www.ztmag.com/blog/news/zt-interview-my-silent-wake-covermount-artist/

--

September 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.