Forums

Forum Home > It's All About the Music > Band Recommendations

Matthew
Site Owner

If you are looking for bands in a certain genre/subgenre, and you seem to have exhausted most of the options, or don't feel like looking for them, post here and see if Christian Headbangers members can help you out.

June 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Okay, if anyone knows any bands along the lines of Ecthirion (orchestral metal/symphonic metal/black metal) or just any symphonic or orchestral metal in general, I can't seem to find many Christian bands in this genre (I already listen to bands such as Antestor, Vaakevandring, In Grief, etc)

Also, I just discovered the band Ancient Plague (dark ambient/symphonic metal/black metal).  If anyone knows any bands along those lines, I think it is very different but enjoyable, I love the atmosphere!

Thanks ahead of time.

--

June 3, 2011 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ashes13

Maybe you can try the Armenian black metal band Blood Covenant. All of their albums are up for free download online here:

http://bloodcovenant.moy.su/

Have only listened to their latest album Sign Of Time. It's a great record.

June 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Okay thanks, I will download and listen to it as soon as I get the time.  The  top 100 Christian metal albums project that I am working on right now is taking up most of my music listening time xD

--

June 5, 2011 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TvdH-NL

I'm looking for bands in de sludgy doomy stoner kind of music. Think of bands like Mastodon, Baroness, Red Fang etc. etc. but I can't find any Christian band who makes that kind of music.

Also if you know Modern Christian Trash Metal I would like to hear it aswell (Music like Machine Head, Lamb of God etc. etc.)

June 12, 2011 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Unfortunately, Christian doom metal seems to be a limited genre, but try these.  Some have more doom elements than the others, or it depends on the album:

Place of Skulls (doom metal)

Veni Domine (progressive/doom metal)

Paramaecium (doom/death metal)

Seventh Angel (thrash/doom metal)

As for bands like Lamb of God, Machine Head try these:  The Showdown, Benea Reach, Thy Will Be Done.

If you are looking for old-school thrash metal, check out the following:

Deliverance, Believer, Vengeance Rising, Tourniquet, Living Sacrifice, Ultimatum, Temple of Blood, Eternal Decision.

Maybe you'll find something you like in there.

--

June 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TvdH-NL

Thanks, Seventh Angel I got already. Living Sacrifice is my favorite Christian band I've heard so far. Their different albums got all a diffrent style but it's all quality. Believer, Vengeance Rising, TourniquetBeliever, Vengeance Rising and Tourniquet I've heard a few times (YouTube) but the rest I'm gonna check out :D

June 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SpaceCowboy892

I hesitate to say, but Virgin Black is a gothic metal/symphonic metal/doom metal. They are not "Christian" per say but have some Christian themed songs with Christian band members. Matt, what do you think about this?

As for Doom Metal, give Faith, Fountain of Tears, Place of Skulls and Pylon a try.

--

www.last.fm/user/Space-Cowboy892

June 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

Yeah, I've never really listened to Virgin Black because some of the lyrical content was a little iffy.  Can't remember exactly what, but I had looked them up  way back when.

--

June 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SpaceCowboy892

ya, that is what I figured, from what I could tell they had Christian members but little Christian influnce.

--

www.last.fm/user/Space-Cowboy892

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SabbatMartyr

I asked Matthew a couple of days ago on last.fm if he knew many Christian Tech Death bands, he recommended me 'Indwelling', 'Tortured Conscience', 'Deus Invictus' and 'I Built The Cross'. A user named iik95 obviously saw the post and recommended me the band 'Sympathy'. I have yet to check any of the 5 out haha but if anyone has anymore recomendations for Christian Tech Death Metal it will be much appreciated, thanks

--

JUST LOVE THE WORLD THAT WON'T LOVE YOU BACK

June 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paliphor

Just beginning my journey into Christian metal, and am seeking heavy, melodic bands. Not too hung up on specific genres or styles, but the melodic element is very important to me, as I'm seeking more than just an all-out metal assault; I enjoy something with lulls and hooks. Seeking something closer to melodic death/unblack than power metal.

Examples of appreciated (but not required) elements:

- keyboard or organ / symphonic / uncommon instruments (e.g. folk metal)

- changing/varied tempos

- vocal harmonies / female accompaniment / operatic

Here are some Youtube samples of what I've discovered so far in this vein:

Immortal Souls - Snow Soul  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMfI4hQQss

Holy Blood - Jerusalem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6fjSST-Thk

As I Lay Dying - Reflection http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5O-_wEWh0A

(secular; lyrics not offensive) Kalmah - Moon of My Nights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oj6EqWiEu8

I especially like the (un)blackened vocals combined with chanting on Holy Blood's track. I don't mind death growls/rasps, but prefer shrieks or even clean vocals. Though obviously, clean vocals are more prevalent in power metal (which I enjoy in equal measure, but am not seeking right now).

Not really a fan of metalcore generally speaking, but have come to appreciate As I Lay Dying's Shadows Are Security for its sheer musicianship. The track Reflection seems more melodic than their standard fare, though.

The listed Kalmah track, while secular, seems a good example of the traditional Scandinavian melodic death sound I enjoy. It manages to be extremely heavy and melodic at the same time. Wonderful contrast between guitar and keyboard portions. Vocals are characteristic mid-range death, yet intelligible.

June 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

I too love melodic elements in heavy music!  These are in all different genres, but have the melodic factor.  Just off the top of my head.

Becoming the Archetype (Progressive/melodic death metal)

Ecthirion (Orchestral black metal)

Antestor (Melodic black metal)

Deus Invictus (Progressive death/thrash metal)

Illuminandi (Symphonic/gothic metal)

Hope For the Dying (Symphonic metalcore)

In Grief (Progressive/melodic death metal)

See the Light (Progressive deathcore)

Coram Deo (melodic black metal)

Paramaecium (doom metal)

Last Battle (melodic black metal)

I know Hope For the Dying is metalcore, but give them a chance.  Their new album is so fresh and genuine.  Also, I was recommended Blood Covenant in this thread, so I just discovered them, but from what I've heard so far they contain a lot of symphonic elements.  I hope that you find a band that you enjoy in there!

--

June 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paliphor

Delighted to find a bunch of these on Emusic; thanks for the recommendations, Matthew.

Illuminandi seems up my alley--nice folk elements. And is Dissimulation the Hope For the Dying release you're referring to? I actually really, really like the samples of that. The guitar and symphonic elements are fantastic. It's more the straight-up punk elements that don't appeal to me in metalcore. But outside of some of the clean vocal harmonies, I don't hear much of that here. And the music has a strong progressive element to it. (I consider metalcore a drawback on albums such as Immortal Souls' Wintereich, in which a seeming metalcore influence has replaced melody and atmosphere with technical brutality.)

I'm realizing I actually find the full death growls on some of these to be a bit too oppressive/intimidating. I'm enjoying the female vocals of Paramaecium and the synths on Coram Deo's Evangelion (in as much as the 30-second samples will allow me to hear), but the tone of the music and harshness of the growled vocals make them on the whole unappealing to me. Antestor's Martyrium seems too harsh, but the more recent Forsaken has the speed coupled with creativity that I enjoy, and shriekier vocals that I don't mind.

I think what dulls the perhaps harsh edge of Holy Blood's vocals on Waves Are Dancing is the tone of the music itself, while what I wouldn't call "uplifting" is far less gloomy than much atmospheric metal out there. It almost has a "war anthem" feel to it. Holy Blood's The Patriot, on the other hand, I enjoy less. I still appreciate the complexity and variety of the music, but it has more the tone of a traditional horror-esque metal album. I haven't explored theirre other two albums in detail yet (their most recent, and their earliest).

June 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matthew
Site Owner

I'm glad you found something that you like!  Yes, Dissimulation is the album that I was referring to.  As well, I just remembered that I forgot to list Vaakevandring.  They never released much, but it was a black metal project with strong folk influences.  I'm not sure if you will like the vocals, but go ahead and check them out and see what you think.  Also, I think that you will enjoy Holy Blood's newest album Shining Sun.  I think that it is their best other than Waves are Dancing, and they also now incorporate a lot of female vocals, which you seem to like. 

--

June 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Disillusionaire

To Bow Or To Burn, Brutal Deathcore.

June 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Disillusionaire

O'Kingdom (deathcore)

June 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kot0ff

A Hope Not Forgotten

http://www.lastfm.ru/music/A+Hope+Not+Forgotten

--